Jim Rohn once said about if someone starting out would like to get a higher income faster than average, get a sales job. However, people have misconceptions about a sales role.
What Jim Rohn hand mentioned is definitely something that I agree with. In a sales role there are bound to be commissions. Commissions are the reason why you are able to leap frog your peers to getting the extra income.
In a normal job, the only way to get a higher income is to ensure that you get your promotion and get a fat bonus at the end of the year. However, there are many uncertainties in this equation. The big problem lies in how much control you have over your bonuses and promotions.
A sales role with individual commissions will allow you to decide how hard you want to work to get the extra income. Even though a salesperson is still an employee, the variable factor is there for him or her to decide how much to earn.
Other benefits of being a sales person include
1. You get to talk to strangers. This in turn helps you to become more comfortable with strangers and it will help you when you are networking.
2. You learn to be creative and think of different ideas of presenting your products to your customer.
3. The technique will selling is something that will follow you for life. If one day you decided that you want to start a business, the first thing you need to know is how to sell your own product.
4. You learn to be more persuasive. Who doesn’t want to be persuasive? It can help you get more things that you want in life.
5. You will naturally become more charismatic. A good sales person have to have a certain level of charisma.
My life changed with this role and I’m grateful that this is the role that helps me hit my 6 figure income. It also taught me so many things that would be helpful to me even if one day I decided to start my own business.
If you are just starting out and looking for your first job or even thinking about making a transition, give yourself a chance and try out a sales oriented role. It is an important role in a company and you are directly able to impact the organisation profit. No bosses in the world doesn’t pay personnel well if they are able to help the organisation make more money.
If you have any questions about transitioning into a new sales oriented job or starting a new career in sales, feel free to drop a comment below.