A thousand miles journey begins with a single step. It is hard for most of us to take that single step. However, it is harder for people who took the first step to continue walking to complete the journey.
“Motivation is a goal oriented behavior”
We will need tons of motivation to achieve our goals. The bad news is that most people lose their steam halfway down the road. The good news is motivation can be easily refilled to help you keep on moving towards your goal.
Your Motivation Level Fluctuates, But It’s Ok
As you can see in the diagram above, your motivation level swings from a high point to a low point regularly. This is perfectly normal. Nobody can sustain a high motivation level all the time.
You will meet many ship harbors (pit stops or resting point) during your journey to arrive at your goals. You will know that you have arrived at these harbors when you start to find yourself lacking in motivation, feel tired, have doubts and don’t feel inspired any more to take action to move towards your goals.
Some may see that arriving at the harbor is something that is they do not desire. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if you can be highly motivated for 365 days?
It is almost impossible that one will not meet any obstacles, doubts and negative emotions when they are trying to achieve something.
These harbors will tempt you to rest more than you required and you can waste tons of time here if you don’t realize it. These harbors are not our enemy. Instead, we should use this period to help us refuel or sharpen our blades before we move on again.
One mistake that many people made is that they spend too much time in the harbor. The longer you stay there, the more you want to dwell in there.
The problems with spending too much time in the harbor are
- You lose your momentum that you gathered
- You waste time and prolong the time frame that you need to reach your goals.
- The more you rest, the more you want to rest.
Create Your Motivation Toolbox To Help You To Start Moving Towards Your Goals Again
A ship need to make regular stop in the harbor to refuel and to remove the barnacles that had grown on the ship structure that weigh it down. Your motivation is like the fuel that the ship needs in order to move. Your doubts, negative emotions, fear, and frustrations are like barnacles that slowly attached themselves onto the ship.
To make sure that you can relentlessly move towards your goals instead of dwelling in the harbor, you need to inspire (refuel) yourself and remove the barnacles (clear the negative emotions that are weighing you down).
One way to do that is to create a motivation toolbox. A motivation toolbox is a collection of materials that can inspire you and motivate yourself back into action again. The aim is to use the materials in the toolbox to help you get out of the low point you are in.
A motivation toolbox contains these items.
Inspiring and motivational
Quotes – The Quick Fix
Accumulating quotes is a great place for you to start. Many wonderful quotes out there are inspiring. What I do is to collect the quotes that I find inspiring in a word document. You can collect them using Words document, Google Docs or any of your preferred words program. You can simply open up this words document to go through the quotes whenever you need a dose of inspiration.
Here are some articles filled with great quotes
- 101 Most Inspiring Quotes Of All Time by Celestine Chua
- Bill Gates To Jay Z – Wisdom And Quotes From 22 Incredibly Successful People
- The Art Of Non Conformity Quotes
When I find any videos inspiring, I would add them into a specific playlist in Youtube. Youtube has the function of creating playlists and you can use this function to help collect all the inspiring videos in one place.
Some great Youtube videos you can watch
- Do You Know The Key To Life? Use This Knowledge To Help You Excel In Life
- Rocky Balboa’s Lessons On Life
- Air Jordan’s Wisdom
Rather than spend your time watching action movies when you are not productive, why not watch some movies that can psych you up. Here are some movies that I found inspiring.
- The Pursuit Of Happiness – I had watched this twice and I don’t mind watching it a few more times. This movie is based on a true story about how Chris Gardner turn from being broke to become a millionaire. You can read the rest of the story plot here.
- Facing The Giants – One of another inspiring movie you must watch when you’re down.
- Coach Carter – I used to play competitive basketball and this is one of the best basketball movies around. Pure inspiration.
I’m currently rereading Think And Grow Rich and I had read the 4 hour work week twice. These 2 books are essential for anyone who want to create their desired lifestyle and achieve financial success in life.
- Think And Grow Rich by Napolean Hill – The book you must read to learn more about achieving success and wealth in life.
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss – The master of designing a lifestyle. A must read for you if you are tired of what you are doing now and want to experience some change in your life.
You own motivation toolbox will come in handy when you are not feeling motivated and productive. You simply have to go through some of them to get back enough motivation for you to start taking massive action again.
If you have any great motivational and inspiring materials, do share with us. See you at the comment section below.